Wednesday, November 7, 2018

A new Math Game: Garbage!

Today during Math I introduced a card game that was new to most members of our class: Garbage.  It was quite a hit and students were sad when we had to stop and go to lunch.  I thought that I would share the rules in case your child wants to play at home (or you are wondering what they are talking about...)!  
Playing Garbage
3 players use 1 deck of playing cards A-10 are in play Jokers are Wild Cards Kings and Queens are Garbage which means your turn is over! 4 players or more use 2 decks of playing cards1) Dealing:Shuffle, then deal each player 10 cards face down, no looking!Like this (it looks like a ten frame!):IMG_5671
The remaining deck is placed in the middle.The point of the game is to line up your cards from Ace (1) through 10 before you opponents do.

IMG_5672
2) Playing:
The first player draws a card from the center deck.  If it’s an Ace through a 10, place that card in its correct location.  For all remaining turns, each player chooses from the deck or the discard pile.Example: In this photo, I drew a 2, so I am flipping up the card in the 2 position…..
IMG_5581
Whatever card you flip, may also be played!  I just flipped a 3 that I can use as well in the 3 position… 
IMG_5582
Jokers are wild and may be played anywhere in your hand at any time.You keep flipping cards like this until you get a number you cannot use, then discard and your turn is over.

Example: Under the 3 position was an 8 I didn’t need because it was already filled with a flipped 8, so I discarded it and my turn was over. IMG_5583
If you flip over a King or Queen you have "Garbage," your turn is over and the card goes in the discard pile.

3) Winning A Round:When a player has assembled all cards Ace through 10 in front of her, she wins that Round.IMG_5673
Remember, you can win with Wild Cards in place too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Monday!