Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Where's pigeon!?

Every class has different things that they like which makes me constantly rethink how I do things as a teacher.  This year the class is OBSESSED with Mo Willems.  Two years ago it was Scaredy Squirrel and last year it was the classic Chicken Soup with Rice.  I am slowly expanding my collection of Mo Willems books as we are flying through the books.  We are using Mo Willems as our first author study this year.  Today we talked about how all authors have a different 'craft' that they use.  I showed how Todd Parr uses bright color backgrounds and characters that do not have 'normal' skin tones and then asked what are things that you notice Mo Willems doing?  Honestly, I was shocked how quickly the group picked up this idea of an author's craft.  We started to make a chart of what we SEE and why?


I also hide the pigeon in the classroom this morning like Mo Willems does in his books.  It took a little bit of time for the class to find him!


This afternoon we had our first CAT card celebration.  At CP Smith teachers give out CAT cards to students who are 'caught' being safe, responsible or respectful.  When the class earns 100 we vote on a celebration.  The class chose popcorn and a movie so we watched the Room on the Broom and enjoyed a popcorn snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Monday!